gatos permissions problem (xatitv)

Hello.  I have a problem, in that I can only run the xatitv program from
gatos as root.  If I run it as a normal user, I get an error messages
saying something about not being able to access /dev/mem.  I've tried
adding my user to all the groups that seemed relevant, but to no avail.

It seems most likely that I just need to add my user to the right group
(although maybe I should make the xatitv program SGID or something), but am
at a loss as to which group could be relevant.  Any help would be
appreciated.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/