Re: Debian Vs RedHat

on Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:46:46PM -0700, Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net) wrote:

> I'm starting a "Debian Vs Redhat" comparision.  At this point I just have
> the ball rolling.  Many other people showed interest so I'm throwing this
> out for public addition/correction.  (We use Solaris systems so the
> SYSV/BSD is a valid point)
>
> Please feel free to add on, but lets keep the jokes to a minumum for now...

> Common to both:
>   Integrated Package Management (rpm/deb)
>   Alien can be used to convert RPM's to DEB and vice versa.
>   Commercial Support from outside paid vendors
>

> Debian:
>   Server Oriented

No.

>   Integraged software install/update tool  (apt) [a version is
>   available for redhat but requires considerable time/effort to install]
>   Publicly available 3 tier development cycle (dev, test, production)
>   Publicly available bug archive for testing and searching
>   System layout is SYSV like Solaris

Both RH and Debian use a SysV init.  The alternative a BSD init -- cf:
OpenBSD, with a single system "rc" file.

> RedHat:
>   Well Known
>   Desktop Oriented
>   No pre-installed install/update tool (apt)
>   Dev and Test cycles are internal only or non-existant
>   Bug tracking system is not available for searching
>   System layout is BSD

Wrong.

The biggest differentiator between Debian and RedHat is that Debian is
policy based.  apt is just a system to implement policy.  Functionally,
dpkg and rpm are roughly equivalent.  It's what they're _meant_ to do
that affords the difference.  I see a couple things in RPM that would be
nice adds for deb, but overall, the concept of a deb (hey, it's just an
'ar' archive with embedded tarballs) is simple, robust, and versatile.

IMO the project organization used by Debian also has much to speak for
the quality and comprehensiveness of the distribution.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org