Re: problem installing debian

Roderick Cummings wrote:

> >From: "David S" <davidski@myhouseuk.fsnet.co.uk>
> >To: "Debian enquiries" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> >Subject: problem installing debian
> >Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:31:41 -0000
> >
> >Hi, I recently got a copy of debian 2.2r4 through one of the official
> >vendors on the debian website and i'm having trouble accessing the x window
> >system
> >
> >this is the error message i get when initx or startx command is used:
> >
> >_exec of usr/bin/x11/xf86_NONE failed
> >_x11transSocketUNIXConnect can't connect: errno= (111)
> >giving up
> >xinit:connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to xserver
> >no such process (errno 3) server error
> >
> >I've heard about problems with the geforce2 mx400/linux and since using
> >this card have had trouble using graphics with other distros as well
> >(mandrake, suse)
> >
> >my system:
> >1Ghz K7
> >Gigabyte 7dxr m/b
> >256mb DDR Ram
> >nvidia Geforce2 mx400 64mb
> >2 HDs
> >
> >debian was installed using a 128mb swap partition and two other 3gb linux
> >native partitions,
> >initially i installed a lot of packages incl. the x-windows components but
> >a lot of errors were reported during setup, after i found i couldn't get to
> >a desktop i tried reinstalling the system and installed the xwin components
> >ONLY however the same errors and problem occured - any help will be
> >gratefully received (it may be something really obvious but i'm an absolute
> >beginner (sorry))
> >

> >David S.
>
> Are you trying to run XFSetup(debconf) or xf86config? On most of the
> system's I've installed XFSetup doesn't work.

On the other hand ...
I recently joined Debian. I installed Potato on two machines. I had many
failed installs on both machines. The last two installs (one on each machine)
were successful. I am convinced that I finally succeeded because I avoided
touching xf86config, and used only XF86Setup. My impression was that
I did not understand the xf86config user interface well enough to give
error free answers or to recover from having given an erroneous answer.
XF86Setup was not easy, but I lucked out with it.

Paul