Re: problem installing debian

From: "David S" <davidski@myhouseuk.fsnet.co.uk>
To: "Debian enquiries" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: problem installing debian
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:31:41 -0000

Hi, I recently got a copy of debian 2.2r4 through one of the official vendors on the debian website and i'm having trouble accessing the x window system

this is the error message i get when initx or startx command is used:

_exec of usr/bin/x11/xf86_NONE failed
_x11transSocketUNIXConnect can't connect: errno= (111)
giving up
xinit:connection refused (errno 111) unable to connect to xserver
no such process (errno 3) server error

I've heard about problems with the geforce2 mx400/linux and since using this card have had trouble using graphics with other distros as well (mandrake, suse)

my system:
1Ghz K7
Gigabyte 7dxr m/b
256mb DDR Ram
nvidia Geforce2 mx400 64mb
2 HDs

debian was installed using a 128mb swap partition and two other 3gb linux native partitions, initially i installed a lot of packages incl. the x-windows components but a lot of errors were reported during setup, after i found i couldn't get to a desktop i tried reinstalling the system and installed the xwin components ONLY however the same errors and problem occured - any help will be gratefully received (it may be something really obvious but i'm an absolute beginner (sorry))

David S.

Are you trying to run XFSetup(debconf) or xf86config? On most of the system's I've installed XFSetup doesn't work.