total lockups when resizing a window

I get a total lockup occasionally when resizing a window. It usually seems to happen when I make a fairly quick mouse move. I am running woody/sid on 2.2.19pre17. gpm is running from boot. I still haven't found the right documentation to know whether I should be running gpm or not. The ability to copy text from a text terminal is nice.

I can't telnet in from another machine (ssh will be on that machine when I figure out why that machine can't get to the internet) because the machine is lockup up too hard.

I have several times done research with Google groups and found lots of discussion of variations of this problem but nothing to give a solution that makes sense for me at the moment.

Different kernel?

Different mouse speed/sensitivity?

What log files will help here.

TIA for any thoughts.