Re: Yow, Madduck!

also sprach Brenda J. Butler <bjb@achilles.net> [2002.01.11.0139 +0100]:
> I don't have a domain.  My isp has one but I don't.  My
> FQHN is seal (and it's not visible from the internet anyway).
  ^^^^
it's not FQHN then ;)
FQ is fully-qualified, which requires a top-level domain.
why not just make it seal.home? that will work...

> exim rewrites the reply-to, from, etc to have the achilles.net,
> but I guess your software only looks at the original sender.

envelope/SMTP hostname in the HELO/EHLO line actually. it catches *a
lot* of spammers (and some legit posters too). sorry!

but as much as truth sucks, it also means that your exim isn't
configured correctly.

do you want a dynamic, globally accessible domain name?
seal.pantsfullofunix.net? ;)

i can give it to you along with a HMAC-MD5 certificate and a script to
let you automatically and securely update my dynamic DNS zone for this
purpose (TTL 2 minutes). then you just use that domain.

> Guess I can't email you then.

:(

the other thing you can do is simply identify your Exim in the SMTP
session as something that resolves. your ISP's mail server for instance.
AFAIK, this information is never used, it only appears in the Received
headers...

qvid me anxivs svm?