Re: is it possible to downgrade from woody

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:45:04PM +0300, Nantenaina Tianarivo Ulrich wrote:

> I was playing with mt test machin. and I've tried to upgrade my debian
> on this machine from a potato to a woody.
>
> But after the upgrade,I found out that some of my application don't work
> anymore. As, we are many to work on this machine, I'd like to go back to
> my last version.
>
> My questions are :
>
> Is it possible?
> If so how can I do it?
>
> Any help would be appreciate.
>

> --
>
> ----------------------
> Nantenaina Tianarivo
> Simicro Internet
> Madagascar
> rivo@simicro-internet.mg
>
> TEl (261 20) 22 648 83

There has been prior messages on the list on this subject. You should
be able to find them by searching the archives.

Theoretically, it should be possible by setting Pin-Priorities in
/etc/apt/preferences, having your sources.list point to stable, and
running apt-get upgrade. Read the man page for apt-preferences. Here is
couple of messages from list archives on the subject:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg01605.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200111/msg04382.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:jAH6h0SehT0C:qref.sourceforge.net/quick/ch-package.html+woody+downgrade&hl=en

I say theoretically since I haven't tried this myself, and I don't
quite understand the logic of how this can successfully be done.
You could likely end up with a totally broken system.

What are the applications that no longer work?

Good luck.
--
Jerome