Re: Debian Vs RedHat

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:34:33 -0600
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > Of course, that's a function of the maintainers and has absolutely
> > nothing whatsoever to do with the packaging software involved.
> >
> > :)
>
> Does the RPM build process have an equivalent of dpkg-shlibdeps?

Yeah. As of a few years ago, though(when I was doing RPM packaging), it
was file-based(ie: it would say it require libc.so.6 instead of glibc2.2
or whatever). That might have changes since, though. Or I might be
remembering wrong, and perhaps it always used package names(assuming the
library was in an installed RPM).

BTW, I see where you're heading. Yes, obviously, a great build
environment will significantly ease a maintainer's burdens. But I still
say that it's on the shoulders of the maintainer :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \