Re: mail server

On Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:39:31 -0800
"Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com> wrote:

> I would like to put a REALLY small email server up at work using
> Debian( I have a RH box I've put together but I like ... the feel of
> this list/ what it says about Debian vs what I've encountered with RH
> ). I had heard about Sendmail and have visited their web site, however
> did not see anything approaching a quick and dirty method to get up
> and running.  Actually didn't see a manual at all.  I presume the man
> page within the application itself would be what I'm after.
> The more I look the more it looks like Sendmail is a project.
> Which, if any, Linux based Email server applications require the least
> tuning to get operational?  Or are they all fairly 'configurable' and
> thus time consuming?  And of those recommended should we avoid any due
> to illogical security defaults as with anything Microsoft puts out for
> Email?

First ... your email is hard to read.

Second, I recommend Exim :) It's well-maintained, it's the default MTA,
and it's easy to set up. However, don't expect a magic wand. When I say
"easy to set up", I'm comparing it to other MTAs with similar
functionality. Actually *read* the information it gives you during the
configuration phase('eximconfig' is the command that gives you that
configuration script-thing), and if you don't understand something then
*look it up*. I can't stress that enough. :)

Setting up an MTA well is non-trivial for somebody who hasn't done it
before, so it's not like it can be done with absolutely zero beforehand
knowledge :)

Enjoy ;)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \