mail server

I would like to put a REALLY small email server up at work using Debian
( I have a RH box I've put together but I like ... the feel of this list
/ what it says about Debian vs what I've encountered with RH ).
I had heard about Sendmail and have visited their web site, however did
not see anything approaching a quick and dirty method to get up and
running.  Actually didn't see a manual at all.  I presume the man page
within the application itself would be what I'm after.
The more I look the more it looks like Sendmail is a project.
Which, if any, Linux based Email server applications require the least
tuning to get operational?  Or are they all fairly 'configurable' and
thus time consuming?  And of those recommended should we avoid any due
to illogical security defaults as with anything Microsoft puts out for
Email?

Thanks

   Paul