Re: pkg scripts/dependency issues

* 'cduck' Chris Grierson (cduck@u.washington.edu) spake thusly:
> what my real concern is, is whether or not my entire system is mangled
> because of situations like this -- i generally have my systems installed
> via snagging a list of packages from one machine and installing them all
> at the same time (dpkg -i *.deb) after they have all been downloaded.  if
> this type of problem arose with j2sdk1.3 and mozilla, what else should i
> be expecting for more ... complex packages/groups of packages?

You're trusting the maintainers to make bug-free packages just like
you're trusting software authors to write programs without buffer
overflows, backdoors and what have you. Since maintainers|programmers
are human, sometimes bugs slip through.

You can live with that, or you can consider the alternative: compiling
and installing everything manually (and, to be logical and consistent,
also writing all the software yourself).

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM