Re: Debian Vs RedHat

The /etc/rc.d/ construction is, AFAIK, a beast of Red Hat origin.  Recent
version (starting with 7.x, maybe?) symlink /etc/rc.d/init.d and the
various rc#.d directories directly into /etc as a convenience for people
who are used to the more traditional SysV layout, but functionally it's
always been SysV.  They do include an "rc.local" script which functions
much like the analogous file in BSD, but it's called just like any other
SysV init script.