Re: GDM and ESD not exitting cleanly

Thus spake dman:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 11:04:11PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> | Hello listers,
> | I have just decided to give GDM a try on a box running Woody.  I have
> | found oddly, that esd no longer exits when the user does.  Before I
> | used GDM, when the user logged out of their X session (which was
> | started by startx) esd died neatly for them.  If I switch to VT, I can
> | log in and kill hte esd process without problems, but I figure the
> | computer is better at tedious tasks than I am, so I would like some
> | method to make it do this for me.
>
> I don't know about this situation.  Is esd started by gnome?  If
> another user logs in, can they control sound then?
esd is called by Gnome as it's soundserver - which is part of what's
odd in it's not exiting cleanly.  My esd.conf:

[esd]
auto_spawn=0
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 5
spawn_wait_ms=100

Should kill itself once it's not in use, but it doesn't seem to.  When
one user logs out, and another logs in, esd is still running and owned
by the previous user.
> | Similar issues with xnumlock - no longer starts when the user logs in.
> | I have selected the Debian option - it looks like that most closely
>
> Where is xnumlock run from?  The 'Xsession' option uses the ~/.xsession
> file, I think.  The 'Gnome' option uses the ~/.gnomerc (also a
> sh-script, doesn't need to exec gnome-session).
I am running it with the Debian option, which reads the users ~/.xsession
for configuration.  numlockx (not xnumlock - sorry about that) is run
from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which I would think would be checked
whenever the X server starts.  Odd.
Thanks though,
Steve