Re: Unhappy ntpd

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:54:00AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> telnet ntp_sever ntp

I wouldn't expect that to work (and a quick test looks like it
doesn't).  NTP is UDP-based, not TCP.

> or check the log files... it should tell you which ip# is
> refusing the connections
> 	/var/log/{messages,syslog}
> 	/var/log/xntp ( as defined in /etc/ntp.conf )

/var/log/syslog contains only the ntpd messages I mentioned earlier.

/var/log/messages contains nothing but "-- MARK --".

/var/log/ntpstats doesn't contain any connection logs per se, but
the data in /var/log/ntpstats/peerstats includes the IP addresses of
the peers whose data was collected, which tells me which connections
are being accepted...  And now, a few DNS lookups later, I know who
stopped talking to me.  (I also discovered that one of the other
servers has a hostname that no longer resolves.  Guess it's time to
find a couple replacements.)

Thanks!

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss