Re: adding menu items

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:58:58PM +0200, Kari Ruohonen wrote:

> Hi!
> I have tried to add items to the Debian menu system with no luck. I have
> read the man pages and the docs as well as browsed the discussion groups.
> I have tried to add a 'menu' file to both ~/.menu and /etc/menu and run
> 'update-menus' both as a user and root. Nothing happens. Also, the
> response in the discussion groups appears variable.

Well, you've got off to a good start with the reading.  Here are a
couple of entries from my .menu directory.  They might help to put you
on the right track.  The `local' is important and running `update-menus'
as a user should be sufficient.

copernicus:$ less .menu/physica
?package(local.physica): \
needs="text" \
section=Apps/Math \
title="physica" \
command=/usr/local/bin/physica

copernicus:$ less .menu/applix
?package(local.applix): \
needs=x11 \
section=Apps/Editors \
title="Applix" \
icon=/usr/local/applix/etc/mini-applix.xpm \
command=/usr/local/applix/bin/applix

> I am running unstable with PWM and xdm. Is this window manager specific?

Not as far as I know.

Brian.