Re: Configuring X on Potato r3 for an on-board Mercury(810) Display

Gary Turner wrote:

> The i810(e) is not supported in potato.

More specifically, it is not supported in XFree86 3.3, which is the
version in Potato -- although I understand that it should be possible to
obtain an i810 X server from Intel to plug into XFree86 3.3, at which
point it should work.

If someone wants to try Debian on a workstation, I don't think they
should bother with Potato; it's too outdated. They should just go for
Woody at this point. Woody has XFree86 4.x, which includes i810 support.
Potato is still useful for dedicated servers, on which it is not usually
as annoying to be running old releases of software, but not
workstations.

The machine I'm writing this on (a Dell Dimension L700cx) has an i810
motherboard with built-in video. I don't remember anymore whether I
actually got XFree86 3.3 working on it (other than in 640x480 VGA mode),
but I remember trying to get it working was a pain. I upgraded to
XFree86 4 as soon as I could, and had no problems at all getting it to
work.

Craig