Help with crashed system

Hi,

I have used Red Hat 7.0 for a while as a web server with
apache/php/mysql. Now the system has crashed, and when I try to
reboot I get all the way through the boot process, but --- then I am
not allowed to log in!

The system asks for a login, but never stops to ask for the password
after the login. I cannot reach the files.

OK, so I would like to recover the files and then move to Debian.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? I have booted from the Red
Hat CD, and I can mount the file system. But how can I get the files
out - I cannot execute FTP or SCP? I have no CD-R in the box... so I
guess I'll have to backup the files over the network?

PLEASE help... I really need the server working again!
--
Regards,
Johannes Angeldorff