usb mouse freezes machine

Hello all,

PROBLEM
===========
  Whenever I try to access the /dev/input/mice device, the machine freezes.  After this, I must do a hard power off
reboot.  Not even the Ctrl-Alt-Del key works.

   I have tried the following two things:
1) Setup gpm to use /dev/input/mice  (machine freezes after the mouse moves about 3 inches)
2) cat /dev/input/mice  (machine freezes after hitting <Enter> key)

SETUP
=======
1) IBM i-Series laptop
2) Logitech First/Pilot wheel mouse

I load with modprobe:
==================
usbcore
mousedev
hid usb-uhci
input

Device
=========
created /dev/input/mice  (mknod mice c 13 63).

OS
======
Debian woody

KERNEL
2.4.17 from dselect (debian source package)

Any ideas?
Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks,
   ---Dean.