Re: postfix dependancies

Dougie Nisbet wrote:

> > apt-get install postfix will already remove exim...
>
> But will it satisfy the dependancies for removing exim, and also remove mutt,
> samba, leafnode etc ... I don't understand why removing exim should remove
> samba.

Then look at the chain of package dependencies until you understand it.

samba requires logrotate
logrotate requires mailx
mailx requires mail-transport-agent
exim provides mail-transport-agent

That's why.

postfix also provides mail-transport-agent, and postfix conflicts with
exim. So if you install postfix, exim will be removed, but since you
will still have a mail-transport-agent, samba, mutt, leafnode, etc.
should not be affected.

Craig