Re: trident: incredibly crappy sound

also sprach Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@home.com> [2001.12.31.0308 +0100]:
> I missed the original post I guess, so I don't have all the
> background, but is your mixer level turned up too high?  I get a lot
> of distortion on my sound card if it is.

not at all. no matter whether they're at 20%, 60%, 80%, 100%, the sound
i absolutely *sheit*...

previous discussion at [1]

i wanted to record some sample from line out to show you guys, but *of
course* now it is working. with alsa, that is. and now i can't break it
anymore. yeah, but the problem is (a) that there is still another system
with the same problem, and (b) experience tells me that the problem is
going to come back...

more diagnostics...

if i insmod the trident.o module instead of alsa (but not having started
alsa before that since the last reboot), it loads without errors:

kernel: Trident 4DWave/SiS 7018/ALi 5451,Tvia CyberPro 5050 PCI Audio,
  version 0.14.9d, 02:14:17 Jan  8 2002
kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:01.4
kernel: trident: SiS 7018 PCI Audio found at IO 0xcc00, IRQ 11
kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x414c:0x4326 (Unknown)
kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Modem codec, id: 0x5349:0x4c21 (Unknown)

but /dev/dsp doesn't accept any data, it's behaving like a FIFO that
isn't being read.

echo anything > /dev/dsp simply waits forever
sox, mpg123, xmms et al. pretend to be playing but, no sound comes out,
and the song never advances

so i removed the trident modules...

if i then start alsa, the sound at least works, even though it's
distorted. and after alsa has been started (and stopped), trident loads
as before, but now sound works too, albeit with heavy distortion.
nevertheless, there seem to be no differences between the distortions of
trident.o and alsa.

so i went to the other system and recorded some samples through line
out: [2] is monty python's "message for you sir" wave file played back,
and [3] is miles davis' all blues played from mp3. both files are less
than 30kb if you wish to have a listen... as you can hear, it's
disgusting.

and then i decided to finish this email, having left off for recording
the samples when i wrote the echo anything > /dev/dsp line above, but
now, for god's sake, simply loading trident.o through kmod  on the other
machine produces crisp sound -- for the first time ever!

and the original machine also works. great. what was that about murphy's
laws and the repairman???

anyway, i'll post again when problems reappear, for now this is for the
archives...

  1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200112/msg04770.html
  2. http://diamond.madduck.net/monty.mp3
  3. http://diamond.madduck.net/miles.mp3

don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.