Re: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:44:26AM -0600, Brooks R. Robinson wrote:
> I am having some annoying woody problems.  I've got several packages that
> won't configure, and they are all giving me the same error:
>
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
>
> the packages are:
> ash
> xdm
> xplanet
> xserver-common
>
> I think that it might have to do with debconf (oh joy) when it tries to
> source the /usr/share/debconf/confmodule, but I cannot be absolutely sure.
> any ideas?

I would suspect a broken /var/cache/debconf/config.dat (error code 10 in
this context usually means a missing question, and if it isn't just an
isolated case it often means the database is corrupt). What version of
debconf do you have, and if you set DEBCONF_DEBUG='.*' in the
environment what do you see when you try to install one of those
packages?