Re: Missing log file

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Nick Hastings wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * George Karaolides <george@karaolides.com> [020108 09:09]:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anyone know what, if anything, besides foul play could cause one of
> > the old, compressed log files to disappear?  I'm missing a whole day's
> > /var/log/messages.n.gz from this past week.
> >

> Old logs are deleted periodically. Look at the man pages for logrotate and
> cron.
>
> Nick.

Yes, but normally it's the oldest one that gets deleted.  I'm missing one
from the middle of the series.  How could that come about?

Best regards,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |