Re: Gnome stops

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:31:24PM +0100, Jens Kubieziel wrote:
> Hallo debian-user,
>
>   I have a strange problem with my Gnome Desktop (Xfree 4.1 on woody
>   3.0.17).
>   When I log on, I can use my mouse without any problems. But after a
>   few minutes it stops. First I thought that my mouse isn't working
>   correct. But then I found out, that the whole desktop stops [1].
>
>   This stop lasts sometimes only 1-2 seconds and then I can use my mouse
>   for some minutes before it stops again. Sometimes it lasts longer or
>   Gnome stops and only <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Del> helps.
>
>   Where can I find out where the problem is? Do you have any hints for
>   solving that problem?
>
>   I have a Logitech Cordless iTouch Keyboard with IR-Scroll mouse.
>
> Fußnoten:
> =========
> [1] I   pressed a button and it kept pressed down for while.
> --
> Best regards,
>  Jens                          mailto:kubieziel@gmx.de

look at ~/.gnome-errors and ~/.xsession-errors for clues.
If you <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Del>, look at these from console before starting
gnome or xsession.

Maybe check: /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/syslog

Run something like xosview to see if CPU usage goes to 100%. If
so, run gtop to see what is running in background.

sometime mouse in X conflict with gpm. If so, disable gpm or set mouse
device in XF86Config-4 to use /dev/gpmdata.

I hope this helps.
--
Jerome