Re: Framebuffer or....not to Framebuffer

techlists@techgod.net writes:

> OK, I think people are missing what I'm asking.  I'm using the nvidia
> driver in XFree86.  But, I have been doing vga=791 in lilo.  So, what
> I was wondering...Does it hurt my setup, or is there an advantage to
> it?

I take that back.  Your fux0red quoting threw me off.

> Caleb Shay <caleb@webninja.com> wrote ..
> > On Mon, 2002-01-07 at 07:26, techlists@techgod.net wrote:
> > > I have an nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400.  I have compiled the nVidia drivers
> > and it works fine.  When I had originally compiled the 2.4.17 kernel, I
> > had enabled the nVidia framebuffer in it.  So, should I use it?  Is their
> > a performance increase or decrease when using the framebuffer.  What are
> > the advantages/dis-advantages to using the framebuffer?
> > >
> > > Wayne
> >
> > I've got the same setup.  You CAN use use the VESA fb (I recommend
> > vga=791 as a a kernel arg), Do NOT use the RivaFB kernel driver, this
> > has some pretty nasty conflicts with NVidia's (closed source, boo!) X
> > driver.

Just as Caleb says, the nvidia closed-source drivers supposedly conflict
with the nvidia fb in the kernel source.  Use VESA instead.

There's no advantage in X, just in console since it allows you to use
higher resolutions and color depth.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>