Re: XFree86 upgrade to 4.1.0

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 06:28:39PM +0100, stefao melchior wrote:

> Hi guy,
> I am running debian2.2r4 with xfree86 3.3.6 on my laptop: I have tried to
> upgrade the x-system to the more recent 4.1.0 release, got from the woody
> release. I downloaded all the packets (.deb) from the debian's site and
> when I try to install xlibs it requests automatically the debconf package.

Installing woody's debs for X on a stable system doesn't sound like a
good idea as I imagine they would have dependencies which could not be
met by your present setup.

XFree86 4.1.0 .debs for Debian 2.2 are available by following the
obvious link on

http://people.debian.org/~branden/

> I provide it to the previous package and it consequently ask me to upgrade
> perl from previously installed 5.004 version to 5.6. The system didn't
> allow the perl upgrade because it could't deinstall-remove, in fact it is a
> mandatory package!
> I was wondering if any of you can help me suggesting how to upgrade perl
> from 5.004 to 5.6.
> Thanxs in advance
> Ste

I would suggest you return your machine to its previous unsullied 2.2r4
state as upgrading perl involves upgrading libc6.  By the time you get
that far you may as well install woody on your laptop.

Brian.