Re: Locale issues after potato -> woody

On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:41:27 +1000 john <johnpf@atnet.net.au> wrote:

> The output of locale under X (gnome)is:
> john@chert:~$ locale
> LANG=english
> LC_CTYPE=
> LC_NUMERIC="english"
> LC_TIME="english"
> [etc]

I suspect the potato->woody upgrade involves a deeper issue than just
setting the locale in .xsession or /etc/environment. After my dist-upgrade
on Saturday, the system does even not recognize "C" as a valid locale.

It seems that the locale definitions themselves are missing, even though I
specifically asked for a few locales out of the list to be created during
the upgrade process (Can I re-run that step? Is this documented
somewhere?).

Man locale is not much helpful, I tried putting somewhen /etc/locale.gen
and running localegen but I did not notice anything to be done (no message
even).

My typical locales (C and czech) used to be fine before the Debian upgrade.
Archive search revealed some more questions about this but not many
answers. Thanks for any answers or pointers to documentation.

Thanks,
Petr