Re: OT: performance problems.

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:25:45PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Graham/Aniartia <linux.i386@genasis.freeserve.co.uk> [2002.01.07.0231 +0100]:
> > Well it might not be the CPU that's at fault, what's your soundcard &
> > mobo, even with the most sorted latency on VIA chipsets I'm still
> > getting problems with sound cards @ high CPU loads (specialy when
> > building & compressing).
>
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
>
> it's basically one of the cheap SiS 630 boards.
>
> > This can be agrvated by soundcards with problems (creative SB Lives
> > being a prime candidate)... I was havin' a fight with an SB Live on a
> > dual 1900XP system 512Mb DDR & a mix of 7k2 rpm IDE & 10k0 rpm SCSI
> > drives.
>
> well, it's got the
>
> 00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
>
> which is a piece of crap, so it wouldn't surprise me. and it's got alsa
> in between, because the kernel driver can't play sound...

I have a lappy with a SiS 630s chipset and the trident kernel driver works
nicely.  Maybe worth a try.

For comaprison, my /proc/pci says:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630 Host (rev 49).
  Bus  0, device   1, function  4:
    Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI
Audio Accelerator (rev 2).

hth,
Pete