Debian install of squirrelmail

If I'm going about this the wrong way, please feel free to flame/correct my thinking/bonk me on the head....

I'm attempting to install the squirrelmail package (latest on squirrelmail's home page, 1.2.2-1) on a production potato server. While I realize this is a woody/testing package, adding the other required packages apache-ssl, php4, wwwconfig-common haven't caused any ill effects. The only roadblock seems to be the perl dependency. I see the current testing release of perl is 5.6.1-6, and on the potato box it's at 5.005 something. Here's the confusing output:

---
#dpkg -i squirrelmail_1.2.2-1_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package squirrelmail.
(Reading database ... )
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuraiton of squirrelmail:
 squirrelmail depends on perl; however:
  Package perl is not installed.
dpkg: erorr processing squirrelmail (--install):
Errors were encountered while processing

#apt-get install perl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  perl-5.005-base: Conflicts: perl but 5.004.05-2 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
-----

Am I barking up the wrong tree, i.e., must I get this machine updated to woody first, or is there a way to accomplish my goal?

Many thanks,

Jeffrey B. Green		Personal Computer Consultant - Las Vegas, Nevada
http://jbgreen.com		Networking Las Vegas Since 1986