Re: how does alsa work (was Re: OT: performance problems.)

also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.07.1736 +0100]:
> Ok, this sounds contrary to what I've heard before.  I've heard that
> ALSA, unlike OSS, allows multiple processes to output sound
> simultaneously.  How, then, can it allow that if all processes need to
> have /dev/dsp open?  Isn't only one process allowed to have /dev/dsp
> open at a time (half of the reason for creating esd in the first
> place)?

no clue. but xmms is configured to play via /dev/dsp, and mpg123 does so
by default. i am sure www.alsa-project.org has more info.

"know what I hate most?  rhetorical questions."
                                                      -- henry n. camp