Re: Potato and ext3

Calyth wrote:

>I remember that converting to ext3 requires to have the drive to be
>umounted before you can convert. On my laptop, I was lazy and I only
>have one partition for linux (the root partition). If so, then wouldn't
>I need to use a boot disk to convert ext3? can someone help?

converting from ext2 to ext3 needs not an unmount. You only need to issue
the tune2fs -j /device/devicename for it will only add a journal inode to
the existing ext2 filesystem.

But as a previous post stated, you can't use the new filesystem as ext3
already until you unmount then remount the filesystem as ext3.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com