Making root fs disk

How do I make the install disks? (Because my 486 won't boot from CD)

Is it $ dd if=/cdrom/some/root.img of=/dev/fd0 -[blah]=1440 ?

I'm using RedHat until my CD set of Potato 2.2r4 arrives in the post, so my
floppy is mounted on /mnt/floppy and the device is /dev/fd0.

I have the boot disk, but I can't remember how I did it and the debian docs
on the CD don't say how to do it on Linux, only using rawrite or whatever.

So is it the same process for both disks, the bootable disk and the root
filesystem disk?

Thx,
James