Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:32:54PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
| also sprach dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> [2002.01.06.2015 +0100]:
| > > the exim setup proposed it surely interesting as it allows SMTP
| > > level filtering, but you can only really do this on a single-user
| > > system. after some experience with anti-spam filtering, i have
| > > decided that system-wide filtering isn't adequate if you have a
| > > number of users, it should be user-based (spamassassin or
| > > spambouncer). you just can't trust your users enough to have
| > > direct influence on the way the MTA works. and you can't impose
| > > your anti-spam rules on others.
| >
| > The setup I posted (same thread level as martin's post) does it's
| > filtering by checking the user's blacklist.  Each user can have their
| > own (but it is not an error if they don't).  (It must be readable by
| > the mail group, though)
|
| yeah, but if i as a user decide that noone on the system should get any
| more mail from someone@microsoft.com, i'll add that address to my
| blacklist and effectively DoS'd all other users...

No, you have only DoS'd yourself.  The config I posted only checks the
blacklist of the local user the message is addressed to, not all
local users' blacklists.

| > > aside, filtering on the sender address doesn't usually help...
| > > spammers don't reuse addresses...
| >
| > Some do.  The constant spammers on the gadfly list (hosted by
| > yahoogroups) do, which is what prompted me to actually implement a
| > mechanism that has morphed into what I posted.  For example there are
| > several addresses @*.pm0.net that are repeated spammers.  I think the
| > whole pm0.net site is just a commercially availble spam relay.
|
| my point was more that this is far from a universal solution...

Yeah.  I've added a catch in my filter to drop all foreign charset
mail to a junk folder.  Only catches some of it.

| it's nice though. but you probably need some content filtering on
| top.  spamassassin is nice, i am checking (and packaging)
| spambouncer these days...

One of these days I'll look into a more involved setup.

-D

--

The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.