Re: OT: performance problems.

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 01:36:18 +0100
martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> wrote:

> also sprach Shri Shrikumar <shri@urbyte.com> [2002.01.07.0143 +0100]:
> > only thing I can think of is to try xmms without the cpu hogging stuff
> > to make sure that it is the cpu causing the skips and not a slow
> > internet connection.
> >
> > I dont enough about how all the stuff works in linux but it may also
> > be that it isn't xmms that is skipping but the internet connection is
> > somehow being interrupted by the cpu-intensive tasks. just a thought.
>
> good thinking, but the MP3s are local files...

I think, something's wrong with your system. I've some 2/3 of your CPU
and RAM (but more disk), and can run xmms on mp3, while compiling a
kernel, writing a CD, compressing files... without actually loosing
responsiveness. That goes down only when something is using heavy
swap, which is usually due to my own errors. Maybe you can check
"hdparm -T -t" on your partitions... I did play around with that, and
after crashing the filesystem a couple of times, it's running really
nicely now.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br