RE: Windows client with debian server

"Alok Menghrajani" <alok@aloksoft.hypermart.net> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to have windows machines connect to a
linux server at login, so that all the windows user profiles are saved on
the server. This way if I work on win machine A and then go to win machine
B, I still have my work in front of me...

What software do I need for such a system ?

Alok.

I don't know if this is EXACTLY what you want, BUT it sounds like it might work out for you. Check out the VNC set of tools at:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/. They have clients and servers for all sorts of OSes, including Windows. Most Linux distros come with both the Server and Viewer available. If you install the Server on your Windows machine, then you can access it AND run Windows programs from almost any computer on your LAN that has the VNC "viewer" installed.... No need to store profiles, etc. This works the other way too... you can access/run programs on the Linux machine (with a VNC Server installed) from a Windows box. In this case it works like a remote X terminal on the Windows box.

You might also want to look into Samba for file Sharing....

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-