Re: Problems with gnome sound after "upgrade" from Progeny to woody

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:05:59AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| I finally bit the bullet, and "upgraded" one of my Progeny machines to
| woody this weekend.
|
| Things went reasonably well, althoug certainly not automaticly.
|
| In any case, when I loged inot a Gnome session, things were not very
| useable, so I loged out, deleted .gnom* .esd* .saw* and loged back in.
|
| Well now I don't have any sounds in Gnome. Sound itself works fime from non
| Gnome (console) sessions.
|
| What do I need to do to fix this?

Do you have sounds for events enabled?  In control panel.

| And how can I avoid this problem on future "upgrades"?

Don't delete your config files ;-).

Though depending on versions and stuff the config files may or may
not be compatible.  I don't know what version progeny had, but my RH
configs (gnome 1.2, manually upgraded many times) didn't work with
potato (gnome 1.0.55) but worked fine with woody (gnome 1.4).

-D

--

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13