Re: What part of X causes major display problems?

Jason Wood <jasonwood@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2002 10:13 pm, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> > I have just upgraded X from 3.3.6 to 4.1.0. After completing the
upgrade, I
> > changed from tty1 to X's display and saw the image on the screen
consisted
> > of vertical lines running down my display, the top of the lines were 1
> > pixel in width and the bottom width was 3 pixels, with 2 wide black
> > horizontal lines running across it. Only the highlighted edges of the
login
> > box appeared. No mouse cursor or text is visible on the screen. This
> > continued after rebooting, but the colours of the lines sometimes
changes
> > after rebooting.
>
> If I am imagining your screen correct;ly, this sounds to me like you have
> configured X to use the wrong driver for your graphics card. I had a
similar
> problem when I first set up X for the very first time.

I am using the same settings that worked in X3 (including copying my only
working modeline), when possible. When it is not, the only difference is
that I use the driver considered to be equivalent (chips instead of
ct65545).

> Try using xf86config, of xf86cfg to reconfigure X, and see what happens.

xf86config changes my old X3 config file, and xf86cfg messes up my screen.
It spews out some messages that I cannot see because the screen goes into
graphics mode, then it draws an image of a monitor, a videocard, a computer,
a keyboard, and a mouse, in addition to the outlines of a few boxes and some
1 pixel wide lines at the top of the screen, with a number of random pixels
to round out the mix. It's a little amusing in a way... if I start X, at the
top of the screen I see two miniature images of that screen at the top.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com