Re: GDM and ESD not exitting cleanly

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 11:04:11PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
| Hello listers,
| I have just decided to give GDM a try on a box running Woody.  I have
| found oddly, that esd no longer exits when the user does.  Before I
| used GDM, when the user logged out of their X session (which was
| started by startx) esd died neatly for them.  If I switch to VT, I can
| log in and kill hte esd process without problems, but I figure the
| computer is better at tedious tasks than I am, so I would like some
| method to make it do this for me.

I don't know about this situation.  Is esd started by gnome?  If
another user logs in, can they control sound then?

| Similar issues with xnumlock - no longer starts when the user logs in.
| I have selected the Debian option - it looks like that most closely

Where is xnumlock run from?  The 'Xsession' option uses the ~/.xsession
file, I think.  The 'Gnome' option uses the ~/.gnomerc (also a
sh-script, doesn't need to exec gnome-session).

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.