Re: cant open display

Moin,

* Deva Seetharam <devs@usa.net> [02-01-04 19:59]:
>i did export DISPLAY=`hostname`:0.0 as user and xhost +`hostname` as root.
>when i run netscape, i get the error message
>Error: Can't open display:...
>
>then i tried export DISPLAY=:0.0 and tried to run netscape.
>i get the error message
>Xlib:connection to :0.0 refused by server
>Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 ke:0.0
>
>Could anyone please explain?
Not exactly, but I can maybe give a few hints.

AFAIK you must run the xhost command as the user who runs the X
server. What happens if you do that?

There are also two authentication methods, one host based and the one
with the cookies. Maybe you could read in some howto about the latter.

Thorsten
--
When the authorities warn you of the dangers of having sex, there is an
important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities.