Re: x install problems

lee wrote:

Right now I'm using a tnt2 m64 (agp)..made by an outfit called pny tech. Seemed like it was a g-force clone type card ? What bothers me about this card is it does not say it'll work with anything other than a windows os (pick yer poison,it says it does 'em all).

Another one I used was a pci card,,a 3d labs unit..permedia 2. This one was working under mandrake at one time. Now I also have an ati rage 128 I can try as well (also an agp)..haven't done that yet as it's being used in a mandrake box..but as soon as my son ain't looking..lol. Seriously..I may that next and repost :-).

Thank you...

Lee

what is you vid card?

Subject: x install problems

Hi folks,

I enter this post as my last ditch effort to get debian (2. 2r4) going
here. I
m installing the binary cd's. All goes well up to the x install, whereby I
get the message "transSocket unix connect  cannot connect ernno 111" This
will repeat over and over till I finally tire and have to do a
crtl-alt-del.

Upon reboot x cannot be found (as it wasn't installed).

I've tried with a number of diff video cards agp and pci,numerous settings
in
the bios. Searched in the documentation,and am really at a loss as to what
do now.

I'm doing the advanced install,and am left with no dependancy problems from
what I can see.

Are there any suggestions as to how to handle this issue ? Thank you all
very
much for your time,and any starters that may help me overcome this.

It sounds like you did'nt install the complete X... ;) I have had the same error (errno 111), but cannot seem to recall the exact packages missing. But if you are installing via the installer, it shouldn't be true... :) Personally I think X is easier to setup last, manually, using APT. If I were you, I'd install debian again, without X, and take it step-by step. Start by identifying what xserver you should use with 'xviddetect <enter>'. Then install it with 'APT-GET install xserver-<your type here>' Install xserver-common, xfonts-base, xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable and xbase-clients. Then you should be able to start X with 'XF86_<your-type-here>' If that works the only thing left to make it usable is to install a windowmanager.
Hope this helps somewhat...

Pontus