Re: Total lockups - could it be my ISP?

On 04 Jan 2002, ben wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2002 10:46 am, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > >
> > > do you have the same version of ppp on both machines?
> >
> > Yes: 2.4.1.uus-1 on both.
>
> so what are you actually doing, what apps are running when the system locks
> up? you also mentioned that there were some other previous difficulties using
> the free isp--what kind of problems were occurring before?

In all cases I was doing fairly lengthy downloads and it occured after
about 15 min. It doesn't happen when getting mail or news. I have had it
using Netscape, Mozilla, and I think Lynx though I'm not sure. My modem
is an external Courier.

The ISP (NTL) used to be very good till a few months ago. Now the NTL
newsgroups are full of complaints, mainly about dead IPs which for some
people are almost continual. There are also difficulties connecting,
dropped lines, and slow downloads. In other words, almost every problem
you can think of. Why do we continue to use NTL? Well, (a) it used to be
good, and (b) if you make more than 15 pounds worth of voice calls a
month your internet calls are free (though this is about to change).

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]