ht0 freezing computer IDE tape

I am using kernel 2.4.16 and have IDE TAPE built into the kernel. At
boot I get a lot of info concerning the tape drive but when I attempt to
write to the tape drive it locks the entire system up and I have to
press the reset key (something like tar -zcpvf /dev/ht0 / as an
example-not the actual command).

I know this is not much info but does someone know what is going on or
what information can I supply which might shed more light onto the
subject?  I am just trying to keep this email short without copying
a lot of the dmesg output (There must be a page on the IDE Tape!).

Lance