Re: Gnome & GDM - root login?

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:46:30PM -0500, Michael Dickey wrote:
> Seems a silly question, but...
> Just installed Gnome & GDM on my son's computer along with a lot of the
> Debian-junior packages. Now I find that I cannot login as root - I always get
> the message "The system administrator is not allowed to login from this
> screen" I can do some system admin stuff from an xterm if I su root, but how
> do I actually do a root login and use Gnome as root so I can configure it?

At the gdm login screen ... press <ctrl>-<alt>-<f2> (press function key
2 while holding down control and alt together) ... this brings up a new
console prompt ... login as root and run startx if you want another
x-session as root.  alt-f7 will get you back to your gdm prompt.

Note that most 'configuration' of gnome is user specific anyway, so what
you do to root's gnome will not necessarily roll into other users ...
you can change global defaults, by editing the gnome gonfig defaults
though.

aloha,
dave