Matrox drivers + XFree86 package

Hello all,

I have a Matrox G200 card, and I'd like to use Matrox's drivers (which
I've had success with in the past).  Unfortunately, I can't use the
binary version, since I run sid and XFree86 is at version 4.1.0.1, which
is not compatible with any of the provided drivers from Matrox.

I'd like to be able to build a custom package for xfree86-xserver rather
than install directly from source.  I've read up on and toyed with
dpkg-buildpackage, and have gotten it up to the point of the first
Debian patch failing (undoubtedly because I replaced many mga driver
files in the source tarball).  I've even gone as far as to attempt to
exclude various files from patching via a regex as provided for in the
args to dpkg-buildpackage, but I can't get that to work.

What would be the best way for me to run these drivers?  I'm assuming
that this would still involve rebuilding a package, and if that is the
case, how can I best proceed with that?

Thanks for any tips.

--
Justin R. Miller <incanus@codesorcery.net>