Re: do I need the IPv4 protocol?

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 10:11:26PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:59:54AM -0500, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
| > On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:59:22PM -0200, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
| > | Hi!
| > | In order to use networking in a LAN do I need the IPv4 protocol?
| >
| > Not necessarily.
|
| Yes, absolutely.
|
| localhost is given in IPv4.

Really?  What about "::1"?  He could use just IPv6 if he wanted to.

(note: I know very little about IPv6, but I've seen ::1 included in
some config files as the IPv6 equivalent of 127.0.0.1)

| There's an awful lot of networking that happens on localhost.  X for
| starters.
|
| Unix and networking are pretty much joined at the hip, head, toe, and
| everywhere in between.

Yeah, but networking != IPv4.  There are other protocols as well :-).

Having said all this, though, personally I would still include IPv4 on
all my systems.

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?