segmentation fault with kmail and attachements: what am I doing wrong?

Dear All,

A few days ago I installed Woody (after a couple of years of suse). Everything seems fine, but I am having a problem with Kmail (4:2.1.1-7). It crashes as soon as I try to include an attachement (segmentation fault, signal 11) in a new message. Moreover, in received messages that contain attachements it seems to think that attachements are URLs, not attachements (I am given the option of "open url" or "copy to clipboard", instead of the "save as", "open with", etc).

I think I must be doing something stupid, since I have searched in this list and the bug reports, and I cannot find anything similar. I have tried a whole bunch of possible combinations: installing the full set of kde packages (kdebase, konqueror, etc), installing only the required libraries for kmail (kdelibs3 and kdebase-libs), purging and reinstalling, etc, etc. Package installation (either from dselect or directly using dpkg -i) aparently proceeds without problems, but still I always get the segmentation fault when trying to include the attachement, regardless of size and type of attachement.

Can anybody suggest what I might try?

Thanks,

Ramón