Re: Signatures

on Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 02:17:12AM -0400, William Burrow (aa126@fan.nb.ca) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:58:32PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> <stuff>
> > Peace.
>
> OK, so here is one of the few places that I get signed email fairly
> often, so it is the first time it is getting a real workout.  For some
> reason, gnupg is unable to verify the signatures however (for example,
> Karsten's).  I am beginning to wonder what it is I am doing wrong?
>
> Here is the result from mutt running gnupg on Karsten's sig:
>
> gpg: Signature made Thu Jan  3 00:58:31 2002 AST using DSA key ID 55F2B9B0
> gpg: requesting key 55F2B9B0 from search.keyserver.net ...
> gpg: [fd 9]: read error: Connection reset by peer
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
>
> I have setup search.keyserver.net as the default keyserver to fetch
> keys, but it seems to not give a response.  When I go to
> www.keyserver.net and manually enter the key ID, after a long pause I
> get a blank screen.  So, what is being done wrong here?

If you look at your ~/.gnupg/options file, you'll find a brief tutorial
on configuring your keyserver.

    Use "host -l pgp.net | grep www" to figure out a keyserver.

I use keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net, which should peer across a number of
servers.

It's _not_ possible to set up multiple keyservers, but I've seen posts
here about setting up a chaching keyserver which will query multiple
hosts.

I've also heard from several people that my sigs are coming across as
broken or invalid.  Not sure why this is, they _do_ appear valid to me
here virtually always.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org