Re: Upgrade potato -> woody

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:31:06PM -0400, William Burrow wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:35:39AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
> > > What package did you end up needing to install? Was that all you had to
> > > do?
> >
> > Maybe xserver-xfree86, which is only Suggested: by xserver-common?
>
> I sent a reply, but I don't see it on the list.  The package
> xfree-clients was missing.  I don't see this mentioned as a bug for this
> package.  Should I file a bug report or what?

(xbase-clients, rather - your reply just went to me, sorry I didn't get
round to responding.)

I *think* the problem is in apt, not xbase-clients. If you had startx
before the upgrade, you had xbase-clients - which means that something
in the upgrade caused xbase-clients to be removed. A number of packages,
including things like xfonts-base and xlibs, conflict with old versions
of xbase-clients, but this should have caused xbase-clients to be
upgraded rather than removed.

However, without a log of the upgrade (preferably with '-o
Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1'), I doubt anyone will be able to find the
problem. If you happen to be upgrading another machine and notice that
apt wants to remove xbase-clients, please try this.