Re: Solved: Re: gv: various font errors, "code 1 in findfont"

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:00:00 -0800, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> on Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 09:03:18AM -0800, Craig Dickson (crdic@yahoo.com) wrote:
> > Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >
> > > I'm finding gv is almost unusable under Sid due to font errors, e.g.:
> > >

> > >     Error: /invalidfontGNU Ghostscript 6.51: Unrecoverable error, exit
> > >     code 1 in findfont
> > >     Operand stack:
> > >        F6_0   1   1   --nostringval--   Helvetica   Font   Helvetica
> > >        333398   Helvetica   --nostringval--   Courier   NimbusMonL-Regu
> > >        (NimbusMonL-Regu)   NimbusMonL-Regu   (NimbusMonL-Regu)
> > >        NimbusMonL-Regu
> > >     Execution stack:
> > >        %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
> > >        %--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
> > >        %--nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push
> > >        %1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2
> > >        %--nostringval--
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I've also got two sets of type1 fonts:
> > >
> > >     /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
> > >     /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/
> >
> > Do you have the GS_LIB environment variable set to these two directories?
> > If not, try that and see if it helps.
>
> Interesting.  I've got that in my /etc/profile (I *thought* I'd added
> something like it), added Dec 13:
>
>     export GS_LIB=/usr/share/gs/6.51:/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts
>
> ...but the value doesn't seem to be getting propogated (I'm starting via
> wdm).  I've changed /etc/environment to just source /etc/profile.
>
> Setting that value (forced in my ~/.bashrc) seems to fix things.

After updating gs-aladdin & gs-common today, I started to see these
errors as well.  But, the problem is not that you should need a
GS_LIB environment variable, but that gs-common seems to not
invoke the proper "defoma" install/update script.  So, I looked at
the README.defoma for gs-common, and right there is a line about
updating defoma via "defoma update gs" -- sure enough, it works.

So, the question is why this is not invoked by the "postinst"
script?  This isn't the first font related package I've seen that
didn't seem to quite get the defoma registration correct.  Guess
the Debian maintainer's haven't quite got up to speed on the new
system...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>