Re: printing problem with lpr on new Potato installation

on Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:26:14PM -0800, Abner Gershon (abner_gershon@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I am using Potato with Lexmark 312 postscript laser printer. I have
> successfully been able to print latex documents using dvips which
> automatically pipes to lpr. However when I try to use lpr directly for
> instance to pipe result of ls or print a text file I get the following
> message:
>
> parport0:detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interupt-driven
> operation.
>
> Then the printer does operate but only the first line is printed and
> the rest is blank.

You need to configure your printer to insert a carriage return (<cr>)
with the linefeed.  This should have been part of your printer
configuration script.

FWIW, my printer won't print straight text, I've relented and pipe stuff
through mpage:

    $ mpage -2 < file | lpr

...which saves paper anyhow (two pages per sheet).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org