Re: Change number of characters displayed on line in text mode (tty0)?

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 05:59:29AM -0800, Abner Gershon wrote:

> Is it possible and how to change to smaller font so
> higher number of characters are displayed on on line
> of my screen? I am not using a gui. Is this
> application specific or will this change all
> applications on my console? I am using Potato.

svgatextmode does what you want and is in the stable distribution.  It
changes the font size of all running programs on all virtual terminals.

Unfortunately, there is no further development of the package being
undertaken by its author so if you have a video card of recent
manufacture it may not be supported.

One reason for discontinuing development of svgatextmode is that kernels
from 2.2 upwards have support for graphical textmodes which you can
choose to build into them.  A search for `frame buffer',`framebuffer' and
`vesafb' in the Debian user mail archives will get you quite a lot of
information on this.

> Please cc: to my email as I am currently not
> subscribed. Thank you.

Done.

Brian.